Auto Insurance Agent
When looking for an insurance agent, the best place to start with is people you know. Ask friends and family for referrals to good local car insurance agents. The search for a good insurance agent is similar to searching for a good financial advisor or doctor, however make sure you understand what an auto insurance agent really is.
A few considerations when searching for a car insurance agent
- How many companies do they have access to provide offers from? If they can only offer one company, this means they are captive to that one auto insurance company. This also means they are just a sales person, not an advisor for you. Many times this is where people think they are saving money on auto insurance, but end up just buying less coverage.
- Are they required to provide a specific car insurance companies offer first. Some auto insurance companies require their agents to offer their product first even if it is not right for you.
- Is the agent trying to get to know you so they can match your needs with the coverages you are searching for
- Be aware of agents who simply want to give you the cheapest car insurance price.
- If the new car insurance is less expensive, ask them what is missing! In our experience, most people end up just buying less because something was either missing that you already had or the insurance agent cut coverage
Captive Insurance Companies
- Allstate Insurance
- American Family
- American National
- Country Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Shelter Insurance
- State Farm Insurance
Captive Insurance Agents
- Local Insurance Agents that work for the above companies are restricted by the company they work for. While they may act like they are providing choices, they can only offer you the one product from the insurance company they work for. While the car insurance seems like it may fit your needs, many times you can purchase a better product from a different company at the same or less money.
Auto Insurance Broker
- An auto insurance broker is someone who does not have access to any one company but they can search the market for you. With this type of insurance professional, they will not have any authority with the auto insurance company you choose, so the service to you will be limited.
Independent insurance agents
- The perfect balance of the two above, Independent Insurance Agents have authority with not one, but many different insurance companies. They are not forced to sell you something that doesn’t work for you. These guys and gals work hard to match your needs with affordable auto insurance that fits your budget.
Auto Insurance Companies
- AmTrust Insurance
- Chubb Insurance
- Dairyland Insurance
- Encompass Insurance
- Foremost Insurance (Previously Bristol West Insurance)
- Guard Insurance
- Hartford Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- State Auto Insurance
- Travelers Insurance